Ancien Manège | Estar

Geneva / Switzerland / 2021

5
5 Love 660 Visits Published

The Ancien Manége of Saint-Léger was built between 1828 and 1829 at the initiative of the Government by the architect FRANÇOIS BROLLET. The composition of the building followed the canon for military buildings of the early 19th century, with a covered arena at the centre of the construction, flanked by two lower longitudinal buildings used as stables. The difference in height allowed for the central space to be lit by a series of high windows, also used to ventilate the combles above the arena. A semi-circular rotonde, determining the main entrance and the house for the squire, completes the central volume. Four towers that housed secondary spaces defined the corners of the building.


Following the increasing popularity of the car and the rejection of equestrian activities in the city centre, in the 1930 is transformed into a garage. To augment its capacity as a parking for vehicles, the building is considerably transformed in 1950n following the project by the architect JEAN CAMOLETTI. The introduction of two concrete slabs and a system of ramps to access the upper levels modified the spatial configuration of the building. Various large openings redefined the facades and a new volume for the ramps altered the composition of the facade on Rue Saint-Léger.


The fact that the Manège was an underutilized infrastructure, originated a participatory process promoted by the association of inhabitants Manège pour Tous with the aim of returning the building to the life of the city. The proposals of the association led to a competition launched by the Geneva town hall in 2014 for a multipurpose building housing spaces for the neighbour’s association, creche, toy library, school restaurant and a series of shared spaces.


The point of departure of the project is the comprehension of the spatial and construction configuration of the building as found and assessing its potential to become an inhabitable civic building with minimum intervention. The project proposes the reutilization and adjustment of existing structural and construction elements combined with selected demolitions, punctual repairs and minimum additions with the intention of utilizing the atmospheric, architectural and thermal qualities of the various parts of the building.


The building is accessed from Rue Rue Julienne-Piachaud via a new pavement that clarifies the urban block, establishing a visual relation with the Promenade de la Treille and new public space in the proximity of the entrance. The main access door for the public is placed on the left side of the building, becoming frontally visible when approaching from Place du Bourg-de-Four. Accessing the building from the tower allows for the semi-circular rotunda to become a living room in direct relation with the street, preserving the 1950 concrete structure and balconies.


The lower concrete slab is be preserved forming a service plinth where all common services are placed, liberating from obstructions all the perimeter spaces with windows to the exterior. The intermediate concrete slab is partially demolished to liberate the large arched openings and obtain a generous common Salle also serviced from the services plinth. Circulation is resolved in two parallel bars aligned with the towers, one of more public nature at the front and one for staff at the back.
All new additions are realized in wood, taking the form of partitions that define the large block of services on the ground floor and two large partitions that acoustically exclude the Salle from the rest of the building. The only new structural addition is a new roof over the south wing, result of the demolition of the higher volume in Rue de Saint-Léger, also becoming a terrace on the upper level.



In order for the Salle to be occupied by multiple users simultaneously or used as one large room for special occasions, a suspended structure can be lowered or lifted to form a partially acoustically and thermally separated space within the Salle. This element is hung from the existing timber structure and lit via a central skylight that also provides natural ventilation to the salle.
The project tries to make compatible the optimization of the thermal envelope and the conservation of the heritage values of the building. In order minimize the intervention in the existing timber structures, the existing ventilated lofts are preserved and concealed behind new suspended ceilings including thermal insulation. The thermal performance is also enhanced with the introduction of new insulated oak frame windows with multiple operation possibilities form the users.


New insertions are reduced to two types: the ones of stereotomic character, that complete the existing structure to reestablish the formal clarity of the building, and the ones realized in wood that adapt to current uses. The introduction of this tectonic dichotomy allowed us to establish an order in construction that manifests its adaptability over time. The intention is not to establish a new formal language opposed to the existing, but rather to establish a conversation between the new elements and those already in place.


The use of wood as a main material allows for possible future alterations to the way the building might be used, understanding the intervention as one further stage of the ongoing process of transformation the Ancien Manége has undergone.


 


SPANISH:


El Ancien Manège se inauguró en 1829 como caballeriza militar dentro de las murallas que entonces rodeaban la ciudad de Ginebra. Su estructura seguía una composición volumétrica “por partes”: una gran nave central rematada en ábside, dedicada al picadero y donde se encontraba la entrada principal, dos naves laterales más bajas con las cuadras y cuatro torres definiendo las esquinas. El edificio se trasformó en 1930 en una estación de servicio y garaje.


En 1950, con el fin de utilizarlo también como aparcamiento, se construyeron dos forjados unidireccionales en el espacio de la nave central y se aumentó la altura de una de las naves laterales para alojar las rampas de acceso. Además, se abrieron grandes huecos para permitir el acceso de vehículos a diferentes partes del edificio y el ábside de la fachada principal pasó a ser la estación de servicio, abierta al exterior con una doble altura. Funcionó como aparcamiento hasta el año 2018.


El hecho de ser un recurso infrautilizado originó un proceso participativo promovido por la asociación de vecinos Manège pour Tous, con el fin de devolverlo a la vida de la ciudad. Sus propuestas se concretaron en el concurso que lanzó el Ayuntamiento de Ginebra en 2014. El programa acordado incluía espacios para la asociación de vecinos, escuela infantil, ludoteca, comedor escolar y espacios polivalentes para el uso esporádico de otras asociaciones.


El punto de partida del proyecto fue la comprensión de la configuración espacial y constructiva del edificio. Mediante dibujos y maquetas, estudiamos las cualidades de cada uno de los espacios para encontrar los usos que se adecuaban mejor a cada uno. A partir de la reutilización de elementos estructurales, combinados con algunas demoliciones e intervenciones precisas, buscamos recomponer la claridad espacial e identidad urbana del Manège.


El proyecto busca compatibilizar la optimización de la envolvente térmica y la conservación de los valores patrimoniales. Para ello, se realizó un delicado trabajo de rehabilitación de los enlucidos y elementos pétreos de las fachadas. En la cara interior, el aislamiento mineral acentúa el carácter sólido y pesado de los muros del edificio y nuevas carpinterías en roble permiten la ventilación natural. En cuanto al tejado, este se rehízo completamente con tejas de tierra cocida locales y detalles tradicionales. El desván ventilado existente se mantiene como tal minimizando las intervenciones en la estructura de madera original.


En el nivel de entrada, bajo el forjado existente, se sitúan espacios de servicio permitiendo dedicar las zonas de fachada a los espacios de estancia. El ábside funciona como un salón urbano con una relación visual directa con la calle. El proyecto recupera la unidad espacial de las dos naves laterales. Una acoge la ludoteca, dotada con dos nuevos altillos de madera que permiten espacios de juego diferenciados. La otra, con la nueva cubierta plana de estructura de madera, se destina a aulas de escuela infantil.


En la primera planta la demolición parcial del forjado del aparcamiento permite crear una sala en la nave central, que se usa a diario como comedor escolar y donde se organizan clases y eventos variados. De las cerchas originales que cubren la nave se suspende una estructura móvil que permite iluminar de manera diferenciada y separar visualmente con cortinas parte de la sala.
En las torres se colocan espacios de apoyo como son una cocina, los baños o la circulación principal. En la segunda planta, sobre el ábside se sitúa la Asociación de Vecinos y en la zona de medianera los espacios dedicados a personal.
Las nuevas inserciones se reducen a dos tipos: las de carácter estereotómico, que completan la estructura existente para recuperar la claridad formal del edificio; y las que se realizan en madera, que se adaptan a los usos propuestos actualmente. La introducción de esta dicotomía tectónica permite establecer un orden en la construcción que busca una adaptabilidad en el tiempo.


El conjunto de estas inserciones está en constante diálogo con lo existente y su contexto. La intención no es establecer un nuevo lenguaje formal contrapuesto al existente, sino generar una conversación entre los elementos nuevos y los elementos presentes en el lugar. Nuestro proyecto intenta apropiarse de las intervenciones anteriores y añadir una capa más a la evolución material y de uso del edificio a lo largo del tiempo.


*


Project name: Ancien Manège
Office name: Estar,
Office web: estar.archi
Social media accounts: @estar.archi
Firm Location: Santiago de Compostela - Genève
Completion year: 2021
Gross built area (m2/ ft2): 2433 m2
Project location: Genèva, Switzerland
Program / Use / Building Function: Creche, Toy Library, School restaurant and Maison de Quartier
Architects Directors: Stefano Ciurlo Walker, Aurora Armental Ruiz.
Architects Directors mail: [email protected] [email protected]
Architect and project Manager: Jon Onandia Calvo
Architects: María Bergua Orduna, Alejandro Morales Martín, Julia Nahmani, Riccardo Amarri, Inês Gomes, Xulio Turnes Vieito, Ingrid Gjermstad, Thomas Lorin.
Interns: Johanna Hemberger, Sakura Aoba, Maya Brams Koch, Ariel Gonzáles Roldán.
Cost and control admin: María José Torrente Bellas, Óscar Ortega Infiesta.
Collaborating Companies-Engineers: ESM, ESTIA, ARCHEOTEC, BUFFET BOYMOND, ECOBUILDING, BTS, BUCLIN, DSSA, QUICLER-LOPEZ, AAB, PHENIX CONCEILS, VADAS.

5 users love this project
Comments
    comment
    user
    Enlarge image

    The Ancien Manége of Saint-Léger was built between 1828 and 1829 at the initiative of the Government by the architect FRANÇOIS BROLLET. The composition of the building followed the canon for military buildings of the early 19th century, with a covered arena at the centre of the construction, flanked by two lower longitudinal buildings used as stables. The difference in height allowed for the central space to be lit by a series of high windows, also used to ventilate the...

    Project details
    • Year 2021
    • Work finished in 2021
    • Status Completed works
    Archilovers On Instagram
    Lovers 5 users