Milwaukee Art Museum

Milwaukee / United States / 2001

35
35 Love 7,622 Visits Published

ENG - The Milwaukee Art Museum, which overlooks Lake Michigan, was partially housed in a building designed in 1957 by Eero Saarinen as a war memorial. From the outset, two lower floors were allocated for use as an art gallery. Further exhibition space was created in 1975 by David Kahler’s 160,000 square meter addition — a structure that extends to the water’s edge and effectively creates a plinth on the axis of the Saarinen building. The Saarinen-Kahler ensemble is notable for its massive character: a concrete structure with rectangular geometry, connected to the city by a concrete bridge. However, despite its growing importance, the museum lacked architectural identity and functional clarity.


Calatrava proposed a pavilion-like construction on axis with Wisconsin Avenue, the main street of central Milwaukee. Conceived as an independent entity, the pavilion contrasts to the existing ensemble in both geometry and materials, as a white steel-and-concrete form reminiscent of a ship. It is linked directly to Wisconsin Avenue via a cable-stay footbridge. Pedestrians may cross busy Lincoln Memorial Drive on the bridge and continue into the pavilion. Most visitors, though, will drive to the museum, entering either from a vaulted underground parking garage or from a drop-off in front of the new entrance.


The design adds 13,200 square meters to the existing 14,900 square meters, including a linear wing (made of glass and stainless steel, with lamella roof) that is set at a right angle to Saarinen’s structure. The design allows for future expansion, offset from but symmetrical to the exhibition facilities, on the other side of the Kahler building. At shore level, the expansion houses the atrium; 1,500 square meters of gallery space for temporary exhibitions; an education center with 300-seat lecture hall; and a gift shop. The 100-seat restaurant, which is placed at the focal point of the pavilion, commands panoramic views onto the lake.


The pavilion features a spectacular kinetic structure: a bris-soleil with louvers that open and close like the wings of a great bird. When open, the shape also becomes a sign, set against the backdrop of the lake, to herald the inauguration of new exhibitions. The pivot line for the bris-soleil’s slats is based on the axis of a linear mast, inclined at 47 degrees, as a parallel to the adjacent bridge mast.


 


 


ITA - Noto soprattutto per i suoi ponti ed i suoi edifici pubblici progettati con l’equilibrio sapiente tra impostazione ingegneristica e ricerca estetica, azzardo strutturale e gesto artistico, Santiago Calatrava si è visto assegnare il prestigioso riconoscimento del miglior progetto d'architettura del 2001 secondo la tradizionale classifica stilata dalle celebre rivista statunitense TIME per il progetto del Milwaukee Museum of Art.
L’architetto ed ingegnere spagnolo si è imposto a livello mondiale all’attenzione della critica architettonica negli ultimi dieci - quindici anni per la sua capacità straordinaria di fondere con naturalezza ed eleganza arte e tecnica in architetture di grande effetto, con soluzioni architettoniche moderne, innovative e dagli alti contenuti tecnici e formali.
Nel caso specifico si tratta di una nuova ala del museo di Milwaukee, il cui edificio principale aperto al pubblico nel 1957 è stato progettato dall'architetto finlandese Eero Saarinen in collaborazione con Maynard Meyer e successivamente ampliato con una ala disegnata nel 1975 da David Kahler, che appena inaugurata ha immediatamente destato grande attenzione tra il pubblico.“Padiglione Quadracci” rappresenta la una nuova ala del museo di Milwaukee, il cui edificio principale, aperto al pubblico nel 1957, è stato progettato dall'architetto finlandese Eero Saarinen in collaborazione con Maynard Meyer e successivamente ampliato con una ala disegnata nel 1975 da David Kahler,

L’estensione progettata da Calatrava, costata circa 100 milioni di dollari, ha segnato l’aumento della superficie espositiva del 30% ed ospita contiene, oltre ai nuovi spazi espositivi, l'auditorium, il bookshop, la caffetteria, l'ingresso a vetrate ed il collegamento con l'edificio principale.

Il progetto, il primo commissionato a Calatrava negli stati Uniti e il primo ad essere completato, comprende anche un ponte pedonale sospeso di 76 metri che collega il museo e la riva del lago al centro della città e un giardino pubblico.

L’elemento che ha maggiormente attratto addetti ai lavori e non, è l’avveniristica vela mobile, ispirata alla dentatura di un capodoglio (in pure stile Calatrava) che corona le sale espositive del museo. Composta da 72 nervature metalliche che si dispiegano fino ad un’ampiezza di 66 metri durante il giorno, per richiudersi sulla struttura arcuata a sera o in caso di cattivo tempo.

Si tratta di una architettura elegante e leggera ma al tempo stesso funzionale; le ali che la compongono, infatti, una volta chiuse assolvono alla funzione di brise-soleil in grado di schermare il museo dai raggi solari ed evitarne così l'eccessivo riscaldamento, regolando temperature ed illuminazione delle sale sottostanti. Aperte danno slancio alla costruzione, stagliandola superbamente nello skyline della città.

35 users love this project
Comments
    comment
    Enlarge image

    ENG - The Milwaukee Art Museum, which overlooks Lake Michigan, was partially housed in a building designed in 1957 by Eero Saarinen as a war memorial. From the outset, two lower floors were allocated for use as an art gallery. Further exhibition space was created in 1975 by David Kahler’s 160,000 square meter addition — a structure that extends to the water’s edge and effectively creates a plinth on the axis of the Saarinen building. The Saarinen-Kahler ensemble is notable for...

    Project details
    • Year 2001
    • Work finished in 2001
    • Status Competition works
    • Type Museums
    • Websitehttp://mam.org
    Archilovers On Instagram
    Lovers 35 users