Umberto Riva was born in Milan in 1928. He graduated in Architecture in Venice in 1959. He started his professional activity in Milan in 1960. Among the realizations we note: a house in Stintino (1960), a house in Milan (1967), a house in Taino (1969); houses in Sardinia (1972); a house in Osmate (1975); the Faedis school (1977); San Nazaro square in Milan (1989-1992); the Miggiano house in Otranto (1990-1996); the front door and the showcase at A.A.M. Modern Art Architecture of Milan (1990); Case alla Morlana in Bergamo (1991 and 1995-2002); the Fincantieri shipyard, Castellammare (1999-2002); the Piazza della Farnesina in Rome (1991 and 1996-2002) and the Termoli thermoelectric plant (2006). Among the interior architecture: the Frea house, Milan (1983-1984); the Insinga house, Milan (1987); the Vernizzi house, Paris (1988); the IB Office shop, Padua (1992); the setting up of the atrium, bar and library of the Palazzo dell'Arte, Milan (1994-1995); the renovation of the Pedrocchi Café, Padua (1994-1998); the organization of Palazzo Barbaran da Porto, Vicenza (1998). He designs lamps for Fontana Arte, Francesconi, VeArt by Scorzè, Barovier & Toso and furniture for Poltronova, Fontana Arte, Bigelli Marmi, Driade. In 1985 he exhibited "Casa Frea" at the Paris Biennale and participated in the "Progetto Domestico" exhibition promoted by the Triennale with the prototype of a greenhouse window. In 1990 he was invited to the exhibition of Italian design "Creativitalia" in Tokyo and in 1991 to the V International Exhibition of the Venice Biennale. He curates the exhibition on Frederick Kiesler in the Palazzo dell'Arte in Milan and on Francesco Podesti at the Mole Vanvitelliana in Ancona (1996); on Palladio (1999); John Soane and Carlo Scarpa in the Barbaran da Porto building, Vicenza (2000); on John Soane in Montreal (2001). His exhibitions include: "Umberto Riva. Urban Settlements", Palazzo Bosdari (Ancona, 1997); "Architectural drawings from the post-war period to the present, from the collection of Francesco Moschini A.A.M. Modern Art Architecture" at the Medici stables of Poggio a Caiano (2002) with the homonymous catalog of Centro Di editions. He has taught courses in various Italian architecture faculties. He has been a member of the National Academy of San Luca since 1998.