The new Bauhaus Museum will open in Weimar in eastern Germany on 6 April 2019, home of the legendary school of art and design founded by Walter Gropius a hundred years ago, as a highlight of Germany’s celebrations of the centenary of the Bauhaus.
The Weimar Bauhaus Museum, designed by Berlin based architect Heike Hanada, will contain treasures from the collection that Walter Gropius established himself in 1925, many of them shown in public for the first time. As the world’s oldest Bauhaus collection it began with just 168 workshop pieces and has steadily grown over the years to 13,000 items.
Among these are outstanding examples of works by Wilhelm Wagenfeld, Carl Jacob Jucker, Marianne Brandt, Marcel Breuer, Paul Klee, Lászlo Moholy-Nagy, Mies Van der Rohe and the Ludewig Collection, depicting the development of the most influential school of art and design of the 20th century.
Based on the central theme, How do we want to live together?, the exhibition will highlight key issues which are as relevant today as they were in the time of the Bauhaus.
The Bauhaus Museum will open at the heart of a new cultural quarter of the city, alongside the Neues Museum, itself restored, housed in the former Grand Ducal Museum built in 1869, as one of the first museums in Germany.
The Neues Museum will present Van de Velde, Nietzsche and Modernism Around 1900, a major exhibition on modernism at the turn of the 20th century, including works by the Weimar Art School and painters of the avant-garde from Claude Monet to Max Beckmann, as well as works highlighting the functional elegant design of Henry van de Velde. Both museums are part of the Klassik Stiftung Weimar.
Bauhaus Weimar 1919 – 1925:
The Bauhaus was founded in Weimar by Walter Gropius in 1919 from the merger of two schools, the Grand Ducal Saxonian school of arts and crafts and the Grand Ducal Saxonian school of arts, originally founded by the Belgian designer Henry van de Velde. During the two decades of its existence in Weimar the Bauhaus became a major meeting place for the European avant-garde. From its foundation, the Bauhaus was caught in the crossfire of different political parties, both from the right and the left. Among the internationally recognised artists he appointed as masters at the Bauhaus were Gerhard Marcks, Lyonel Feininger, Johannes Itten, Paul Klee, Oskar Schlemmer, Wassily Kandinsky and László Moholy-Nagy. Eventually in 1925 it was transferred to Dessau, the seat of the Social Democratic Party of Germany. After the move, Walter Gropius donated 168 products made in the workshops of the Weimar State Bauhaus to the state’s collection. Weimar therefore possesses the oldest authentic Bauhaus collection in the world.