The design for SLA had to co-exist with the SLA concept/philosophy (healthy, organic, nature, easygoing). It had to be fresh and transparent so that's why we came up with the idea of a modern greenhouse. The salad bar is a greenhouse and there's also a real one outside in the back garden.
We wanted to work with a lot of natural materials such as wood and green plants.
The lamps at SLA are long and thin just like in a real greenhouse.
Nice details are the little signs put into the plants where you can find out how to nurture them.
The back garden is designed by Meisjes van de Bloemen. There's a growing table were plants are cultivated and the glass house where they will grow their own herbs and vegetables.
Key words on the interior design by Nicemakers:
- Raw materials like steel, wood and concrete to enhance the organic and "hand-made" feeling
- Recycled wood and furniture
- Custom made wooden tables
- Costom made lighting, inspired on Greenhouse lamps
- The ceiling and (a part of the wall) in the toilet is covered with real moss
- We used beautiful green hexagon shape Winckelmans tiles to enhance the authentic feeling
- Lots of plants and greens to enhance the feeling of being in a real greenhouse
- Small greenhouses on the table as decoration
- Old handmade plants scissors
The client already had the concept for SLA ready so the briefing was strict:
- not a salad bar which is already there. We wanted to create something unique (a trademark) and came up with the idea of building a "greenhouse", which Jop & Nina loved.
- the counter has to be the heart of the shop
- fresh, clean and healthy atmosphere
- a duplicatable plan for the next SLA locations (that's why we designed unique pieces)
After this briefing the client trusted us completely and let us free to design their salad bar, which gave us even more energy and motivation to create something unique.
Inspiration for the interior concept (keywords):
- For the salad bar and counter: A more stylish and modern version of a greenhouse: the "Garden Shed" (by Ville Hara and Linda Bergroth)
- This greenhouse at SLA enhances the organic feeling
- New York rooftop gardenTrs: the desire to green in a busy city
- Hortus Botanicus: one of the oldest botanic gardens of the world, located in the
37 users love this project