SEAM rotomolded light

Germany / 2013

11
11 Love 1,816 Visits Published
The pendant light »SEAM« was originally a test – shape that I designed to experiment with my DIY- rotational molding machine. After some months of experimentation with different shapes and additives such as wood or textiles, I decided to use one test shape to improve the process. I tested all kinds of mixtures of polymer plaster with my test shape and I also did some color experiments. I started to write down everything I did, like laboratory workers do. The outcome of my color and material experimentation is a simple lampshade: The molding process compromises three steps with different layers and different colors. The seam of the molding process is still visible in the product, so are the irregularities of casting process. The drops inside the lampshade refer to the movement of the machine. The lampshade comes in different colors: green, white and red. It has a smooth surface on the outside, while the inside shows irregularities that refer to the DIY- rotational molding process. The outside is sanded and covered with a protective layer of vaseline. Because of the irregular material thickness, the lamp needs a special fixture that enables the user to adjust the lampshade (it was not hanging straight). The special fixture also determines the form of the lampshade: a bigger hole is necessary at the top of the shade in order to adjust the lampshade, the light passes through. The rotational molding machine (a simple construction) that was used to make the lampshades. It looks less fancy than the other machine I made, it's only a tool. This machine is the real improvisation in this project, while the the lampshade is not really improvised.
11 users love this project
Comments
View previous comments
    comment
    user
    Enlarge image

    The pendant light »SEAM« was originally a test – shape that I designed to experiment with my DIY- rotational molding machine. After some months of experimentation with different shapes and additives such as wood or textiles, I decided to use one test shape to improve the process. I tested all kinds of mixtures of polymer plaster with my test shape and I also did some color experiments. I started to write down everything I did, like laboratory workers do. The outcome of my color and material...

    Archilovers On Instagram
    Lovers 11 users