- Concept / Strategy: The proposal answers to Sustainability through urban densification and the multiplicity of uses and programs. New urban and economic decentralized model provides long movements of consumer goods and people. This new urban model allows long travel a short journey time, leads to the consumption of energy and scarce resources. However, this model allows for greater interaction between individuals and moving closer, resulting in narrowing the temporal notion. The proposed project begins this new concept of urban model, where the new center will function as Flotmyr generator trips and territorial dynamics. So, Haugesund’s collective memory of Flotmyr, seen as an “urban hole”, is used as the definition for public space crating a large central area that works as the core of congregation for people and activities and solves the idea of “doorway” into the city.
The new urban plan proposed is integrated in the city urban structure and connects the different scales (center and expansion areas) by solving the site perimeter mixing volumetric building scales and continuing urban paths.
- Topography/ Morphology/ Clime: The intervention site has a valley configuration with the confluence of water lines from northeast and east that reinforces the centrality of the area and the need for transversal connections to Karmsundgata into historic center.
The few daylight winter hours contrasting with large sunny days in the summer, the strong winds north/ south variants between summer/ winter stations and the altimetric difference height for the city center generated the resolution of the site’s public spaces definition on different levels, helping to create protected zones to climate natural elements. This also reinforces the bond Public/ Private space.
- Accessibilities/ Transports: Karmsundgata, the main road, is amplified and redimensionated for better traffic fluency. A secondary traffic street is created parallel to the main road, into the east limit of the site, to solve accesses and adequate rhythm for local activities and programs. Transversal pathways are improved and redesigned for pedestrians, cycling and/or cars, to strengthen relations of Flotmyr with the city center. New pedestrian courses connecting existing green structures and public spaces and new cycling paths.
The Transport Hub is amplified and integrated in the new urban plan with bus, taxis, metro/train, bicycle docks and ferry tickets terminal.
- Typologies: The types build following a hierarchical system, where the most important accessibility and high-speed of circulation are directly related to large building and accessibility of low importance and low-speed are related with smaller volume building. Through analysis of original documents concludes that there are 4 types of existing typologies in Haugesund. This types contributed to the notion of archetype of the proposed project built.
In general all types of construction are the reflex that traditional architecture follow with strong inclination of the roofs.
- Public spaces: The local memory is honored through an intervention that part of the existing urban void. Thus, the public spaces are born in our area of operation as places that belong to an already pre-existing empty field and pedestrian paths converge to this expectant place. This place is now able to support uses like music show and other events and simultaneously gives access to the historic center, hotel, bus station subway
- Hybrid tower: The hybrid tower seeks to articulate, at the lower level, the relationship between transitions of the various levels of the proposal with green spaces, commercial spaces and leisure facilities. On the other hand, the tower has a broad program but based on the typology of open space, given that ensures greater flexibility and joint programmatic uses in the future. The formal level arises through the notion of archetype studied in the analysis of case study.
1 users love this project