Masseria Cimino

Savelletri di Fasano / Italy / 2005

192
192 Love 18,708 Visits Published
Masseria Cimino is a fortified farmhouse with tower dating back to the 18th century. The Masseria was built just meters from the sea, adjacent to the archeological site where the ruins of the Ancient Roman city of Egnatia, founded in the 6th century B.C., were discovered. In the 1700's, blocks of stone originating from the perimeter wall of Egnatia were used in the construction of the farmhouse, on the walls of which markings dating back to the Ancient Roman period can still be clearly seen. Masseria Cimino, surrounded by expanses of vegetable gardens and century old olive groves, stood at the center of an important agricultural estate, specialized in the cultivation and the preserving of fruit and vegetables. Selection, pressing, packing, and storage were all carried out in the farm's various outbuildings. Like great part of the Masseria in Puglia, part of the main farmhouse was used to lodge the workers and as occasional residence of the landowner. In 2001, on the land surrounding the Masseria, the San Domenico Golf Club was built, with spectacular 18 hole professional golf course overlooking the sea. In 2005, the Masseria Cimino was completely restored. Great care was taken to preserve the original architectural features, building materials, and colors of the old farmhouse. The Masseria has 15 rooms, some of which are located in the ancient tower and others in the old farmhouse adjacent to the archaeological site, which has just recently been unearthed and which form part of the slaves’ dwellings in the ancient city of Egnatia. The walls of this ancient city form part of the boundaries of this property.
192 users love this project
Comments
View previous comments
    comment
    Enlarge image

    Masseria Cimino is a fortified farmhouse with tower dating back to the 18th century. The Masseria was built just meters from the sea, adjacent to the archeological site where the ruins of the Ancient Roman city of Egnatia, founded in the 6th century B.C., were discovered. In the 1700's, blocks of stone originating from the perimeter wall of Egnatia were used in the construction of the farmhouse, on the walls of which markings dating back to the Ancient Roman period can still be clearly...

    Archilovers On Instagram
    Lovers 192 users