Brief information on the venue:
Area of the construction site: 3.1 ha
Height of the building: 22.8 m
21. Capacity: 7,000 spectators
22. The venue is going to host ice hockey competitions as part of the Olympic Winter Games, and sledge hockey competitions as part of the Paralympic Winter Games.
23. Once the first cubic meter of concrete had been poured in, the constructors put into the arena's foundations a symbolic ice hockey puck.
24. The arena's outer appearance incorporates the shape of a snow whirlwind or a puck in motion.
25. The building's main metal frame weighs 4,700 tonnes.
26. It is impossible to imagine a game of ice hockey without a puck, known in Russian as a "shayba". The name accurately reflects the venue's intended purpose. Moreover, for Russians the chant of "Shaybu!" is a universal and recognizable way of supporting an ice hockey team at international competitions. This name serves to underline, therefore, the character of these Games as "Russian" Winter Games.
27. The first international Test Events were the IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship – which took place at the venue in April 2013. From 25.08 till 02.09 the arena hosted the “4 Nations” Ice Sledge Hockey Tournament.
28. After the Games, on the basis of “Shayba” Arena, creation of a national children's sports and education center is planned.
8 users love this project