The analysis and the inspection of the project area have highlighted the strong disconnection between the tracks designed by Broglio and well-established neighborhood of Mazzini and the disintegrating structure and largely missing the project area. In addition, large infrastructure present, potential strength of the area, help to isolate the perimeter and further weaken the link with the rest of the city.
Overall, the situation is characterized by different forms of degradation:
- Environmental: pollution of the soil resulting from landfill activities, compounded by the presence of illegal productive / industrial risen over the years and that operate illegally with little attention to the environment.
- Building decay: the scope is characterized by a heterogeneous tissue, consisting largely of illegal buildings. With the exception of a few buildings farms of ancient construction, the area is devoid of architectural character.
- Social,health and hygiene: the situation of marginality is found in the residence property in manufacturing operations and unauthorized rom camps.
On the other hand, there are some architectural episodes and urban forms which characterize a strong potential and a future development of the area, in particular:
- the easy accessibility to the site by rail through:
Porto di Mare Metro Station and the railway station Rogoredo
the tracks of roads connecting the urban "ring road east Milan" and the Autostrada del Sole, the ancient Via San Dionigi leading to the Chiaravalle abbey;
- The Nosedo Purifier, center of excellence for the environment, the first and the most 'large water purification plant of the territory;
- Sports equipment and leisure, along with Parco Cassinis, have helped to characterize this part of town;
- The Cascine, historical evidence of the agricultural culture of Lombardy, historical points of interest, now in sharp decline.
In particular, the site consists of the Parco Agricolo Sud, which is part of a ring system around Milan: in the west to the National Park of Ticino, the Adda Park in the east. The area, called the former landfill Porto Di Mare, was recovered by excavation (first half of '900) for the project of the city harbour, which later became the subject of disposal of inert materials, and finally today decommissioned landfill.
The project focuses on three levels: cultural, infrastructural and urban development. The interventions will therefore be aimed at:
- Restore a normal situation in which there are productive activities that are working in line with the laws in force structures and environmentally; create architectural structures designed to implement the task now instead of penalizing abusive, serves to create a social consciousness and cultural activities linked to plus value given by environmental and legality.
- Design a housing linked to forms of prefabrication and hypothetical self-construction, making it environmentally sustainable, enhances the well-known environmental area and in some way receives instances spontaneous existing building, not denying it, but again adding the added value of legality and environmental care.
- Redesign the infrastructure mesh, with precise and easy to make, to reconnect the tissue to the surrounding areas, in particular that of Corvetto-Mazzini, healing a situation which today represents an unbalanced system, where the intersections are not proportionate and create strong visual and architectural barriers. Then set up a new system of traffic that overcomes these limitations and simplify the connections is primary objective of the design, also with a view to re-entering the production area, now has a strong business incubator in the city.
The marginal position of the area has evidently brought forth the typical characters and complex problems of urban fringe: as a process of osmosis, the area is reconnected to the urban fabric, respecting and maintaining its landscape character.
The design strategies implemented will be:
- create a network of axes which goes to renew the area around the city.
Taking advantage of the presence of existing infrastructure, create a local traffic suited to the needs of the new district, ribind it to the urban fabric through two axis to the north, in continuation of the district Mazzini, and two aces in the east, moving beyond, at a lower level, the barrier formed by the junction of the Autostrada del Sole.
- Locate a business incubator which will reorganize and relocate existing and new craft businesses in the surrounding areas, with a structure that provides local administrative, training, and large work spaces and storage, as well as areas used for loading and unloading goods .
- Improving the quality of urban, social and environmental urban development basing on a strong synergy between the natural and urban environments, through the construction of a social housing according to the principles of modularity, prefabrication, reducing the consumption of soil and green interstitial areas.
- Integrate services and areas for sports, retrain existing green spaces of the Park Cassinis.
- Take advantage of the proximity to the Nosedo Purifier plant for the production of clean energy which will supply the new buildings.
In concept we have kept alive the idea of hortus, considering the connotation of the area as an agricultural park, using it to draw the modular design of green areas which stood along the roads of the project.
4 users love this project