Gino Sarfatti

Designer Venice / Italy

3
Gino Sarfatti 3
Gino Sarfatti
Gino Sarfatti was born in Venice in 1912 and studied air and naval engineering at the University of Genoa.
Forced to interrupt his studies, he moved to Milan and, in February 1939, founded Arteluce.
From 1939 onwards he worked in the lighting sector and Arteluce soon became a national and international reference point for the movement of modern architecture in lighting.
In 1943, due to racial laws and bombing of Milan, he took refuge with his family in Switzerland. Immediately after the liberation, he returned to Milan and reorganized production.

During its thirty years of activity, Gino Sarfatti has designed and produced over 400 lighting fixtures and conducted continuous research on innovation in terms of typology, materials, production technologies, light sources, technical lighting effects and aspects of design.

In 1950 he made an important trip to the United States, entrusting the artistic direction of Arteluce to Vittoriano Viganò.
In 1953 the shop was completely renovated by Marco Zanuso and became an international attention center.
In 1954, the 1063 and 1065 models obtained the "Grand Prix" at the X Triennale and the 559 model won the Compasso d'Oro. The following year, the award is replicated with the 1055 model.
About 10 years from the prestigious Arteluce store in Corso Matteotti designed with M. Zanuso in 1951, in 1962 Vittoriano Viganò, his lifelong friend, designed a new Arteluce store in via della Spiga.

During their work, Gino Sarfatti and Arteluce have won numerous prizes and awards including the Compasso d'Oro in 1954 and 1955 and the Honorary Diploma of the Milan Triennale.

Arteluce was also a meeting place and an important forum for many of the main Italian designers in the 50s and 60s. The following collaborated with Arteluce: F. Albini - F. Helg, C. Belgioioso - Peressuti - E. Rogers, G.F. Frattini, V. Viganò, S. Asti, V. Latis, C. Santi, M. Vignelli, I. Parisi, U. Gregotti - L.Meneghetti - G. Stoppino, M. Huber.

Gino Sarfatti died in Gravedona in 1984.
Gino Sarfatti
Gino Sarfatti

Gino Sarfatti was born in Venice in 1912 and studied air and naval engineering at the University of Genoa. Forced to interrupt his studies, he moved to Milan and, in February 1939, founded Arteluce. From 1939 onwards he worked in the lighting sector and Arteluce soon became a national and international reference point for the movement of modern architecture in lighting. In 1943, due to racial laws and bombing of Milan, he took refuge with his family in Switzerland. Immediately after the liberation, he returned to Milan and reorganized production. During its thirty years of activity, Gino Sarfatti has designed and produced over 400 lighting fixtures and conducted continuous research on innovation in terms of typology, materials, production technologies, light sources, technical lighting effects and aspects of design. In 1950 he made an important trip to the United States, entrusting the artistic direction of Arteluce to Vittoriano Viganò. In 1953 the shop was completely renovated by Marco Zanuso and became an international attention center. In 1954, the 1063 and 1065 models obtained the "Grand Prix" at the X Triennale and the 559 model won the Compasso d'Oro. The following year, the award is replicated with the 1055 model. About 10 years from the prestigious Arteluce store in Corso Matteotti designed with M. Zanuso in 1951, in 1962 Vittoriano Viganò, his lifelong friend, designed a new Arteluce store in via della Spiga. During their work, Gino Sarfatti and Arteluce have won numerous prizes and awards including the Compasso d'Oro in 1954 and 1955 and the Honorary Diploma of the Milan Triennale. Arteluce was also a meeting place and an important forum for many of the main Italian designers in the 50s and 60s. The following collaborated with Arteluce: F. Albini - F. Helg, C. Belgioioso - Peressuti - E. Rogers, G.F. Frattini, V. Viganò, S. Asti, V. Latis, C. Santi, M. Vignelli, I. Parisi, U. Gregotti - L.Meneghetti - G. Stoppino, M. Huber. Gino Sarfatti died in Gravedona in 1984.