The bathroom is a very practical space, but it's also a very personal space which is why it is the ideal room to creatively design. Here we give you some tips on how to do this.
If you're refurbishing your bathroom, you need to think outside the box and do something innovative with it. Don't just settle for basic - you're a creative mastermind! Be artistic and try to truly embrace your inner artist. The bathroom is a very practical space, but it's also a very personal space where you can relax and unwind, daydream and let the days worries drain away with the bathwater. And for that reason, it is the ideal place to let your design dreams run wild.
Here are some tips to help you be creative with your bathroom tiles:
Get The Practicalities Out Of The Way
The practicalities of installing porcelain floor tiles or wall tiles are extremely important and once you know what they are, you can then use that as your base for creativity. Consider the following:
● Make sure the tiles are easy to install and can be easily cut.
● Make sure the porcelain tiles are easily replaced - you don't want your tiles to be cut wrong or for them to become damaged in the future only to find you cannot replace them and have to redo the whole room.
● Make sure the tiles are waterproof and easy to clean.
● Try to get as many tiles as possible that can be used in any area of the bathroom. Some designer tiles may not be suitable for exposure to direct water streams, so check their level of versatility before investing.
● Look up how much the tiles cost and if they are available in different qualities. If the tiles are quite rare you may be restricted on the price and quality.
● Check the tiles are anti-slip - this is an incredibly important safety factor.
Allow Enough Time To Be Creative
It is important that you allow yourself enough time to be creative. Whereas a generic white bathroom takes a relatively small amount of time to create, creative bathrooms have a lot more room for error. Working with porcelain tiles or ceramic tiles is pretty easy and you can do the job yourself with a little patience, lots of DIY instructions and a few pieces of useful equipment. But the project may well take you from a few days to a few weeks depending on how much time you have to complete it. It could also be quite messy which is something you need to be prepared for. If you do decide DIY isn't for you, make sure you find a professional to do the job who truly understands your vision. You may have to go into quite some detail explaining to them and showing them exactly what you want them to achieve.
Ideas For Creativity
You will want to look on social media and in interior design magazines to find ideas for your creative bathroom. There are so many options for you to explore it may take you some time to decide on the best option for you - but it will be worth it. Here are some ideas for you to consider:
● Ombre - using tiles that start as a light or dark shade of a colour and graduate down or up to a light or dark shade of the colour.
● Different tile sizes - using tiles in all different sizes and cuts to create a textured, unique look.
● Different tile materials - ceramic tiles, porcelain tiles, stone tiles, mirror tiles, metal tiles - there are a lot of different materials to choose from.
● Textures - you can get really rough textured tiles and super smooth ones, matte ones and lined ones - don't let your design be limited by texture.
● Colours and patterns - you could invest in vintage patterned tiles, or some contemporary geometric patterned tiles. You could contrast two very bold colours or add splashes of colour with one bright tile amongst lots of neutral tiles.
● Lighting - what about undertile lighting? Or floor tiles with integrated lights?
The options for bathroom tiles are endless, and more and more are being created every single day. You can even get colour changing tiles based on water temperature these days - designs are becoming increasingly innovative and intuitive. So embrace that design innovation and create your own super cool bathroom. You can be a creative mastermind with bathroom tiles!