The project for a museum of Etruscan art was conceived in response to the wishes of the Fondazione Luigi Rovati to create a place where the value of its art collection could be justly promoted and appreciated.
The project will see the redevelopment and expansion of the historical Palazzo Bocconi-Rizzoli-Carraro, located in Milan in Corso Venezia 52, in a prestigious area where immediate surroundings include the “Indro Montanelli” public gardens of Porta Venezia and buildings of excellence such as Palazzo Saporiti, built in 1912 (which today hosts the Museo Civico di Storia Naturale - Civil Museum of Natural History - of the Milan Municipality) and the Planetarium, built in 1930 by architect Portaluppi. Palazzo Bocconi-Rizzoli-Carraro was built in 1871 and has been renovated on numerous occasions over the years, ranging from works on the main façade looking over Corso Venezia to more generic, special maintenance works. It was damaged by bombings in 1943, before experiencing a genuine transformation in the sixties led by architect Ferdinando Reggiori, who arranged a variation to its shape and the refurbishment of the façade looking over the internal garden, together with architect Filippo Perego, responsible for the interiors. The building currently consists in a single fabrication composed of five above-ground levels (in addition to one underground and one loft floor), and features a rectangular layout covering a total surface area of approximately 3,300 m2.
The architectural project will be developed in three macro stages.
The first relates to the expansion of the underground level and the development and set-up of the museum therein, which will host an important collection of vases (bucchero pottery and clay) as well as other Etruscan relics. This will be the true heart of the design implementation process, an architectural element of excellence conceived in complete sync with the overall project for the Palazzo. This new space will be characterized by its sinusoidal contours, which will transmit a sense of continuity among the different environments, conveying a sense of fluidity to visitors as they travel the different paths. The stone used for cladding will be laid horizontally in stratified levels, and insofar as an “eternal”, natural and precious material, will create the perfect setting for the prestigious, works of art that will be housed therein.
The second relates to the renovation of the eighteenth century Palazzo Bocconi-Rizzoli-Carraro. The most important works will involve the meticulous operation of preserving and restoring the main rooms on the “noble level” or main floor, a type of “rediscovered home”, specifically designed to display other types of artistic objects owned by the Foundation, in a single and continuous, past and present dialog. The other floors of the building have been designed to host a series of museum activities, including a library, laboratories, conference hall and spaces for temporary exhibitions. On the ground floor, a large entrance hall will be developed, serving as a grouping area from whence the public will be directed towards the different areas of the museum, including the bookshop, cafeteria and garden.
The third design implementation involves the large garden at the back of the building. This space is hidden by the perimeter walls, which closes it in on three sides. It consists in a private green area available for public use, where visitors can stop to have a chat and exchange their thoughts, a city lounge of sorts, simple, yet elegant. It was decided to restore the garden’s original features through a redevelopment project brought to life in cooperation with the Italian Cultural Heritage Commission, with a view towards protecting plant life with historical value, while at the same time highlighting and celebrating the intimate and surprising collection offered by the garden as visitors arrive through the main hall of the building.
Cliente: Fondazione Luigi Rovati
Progetto: Mario Cucinella Architects
Team: Mario Cucinella, Enrico Iascone, Luca Sandri, María Dolores del Sol Ontalba
Ernesto Tambroni, Davide Cazzaniga, Chiara Tomassi, Dario Castellari, Flavio Giaccone, Giovanni Sanna, Irene Giglio (bioclimatic design), Enrico Pintabona, Irene Sapienza, Eurind Caka, Wallison Caetano.
Modelli: Yuri Costantini, Andrea genovesi
Project Management: Revalo SpA
Systems Engineering: Manens - Tifs SpA
Structural Engineering: Milan Ingegneria Srl
Landscape Design: Greencure Marilena Baggio Paesaggista
Fire Security: Gae Engineering Srl
The project for a museum of Etruscan art was conceived in response to the wishes of the Fondazione Luigi Rovati to create a place where the value of its art collection could be justly promoted and appreciated.The project will see the redevelopment and expansion of the historical Palazzo Bocconi-Rizzoli-Carraro, located in Milan in Corso Venezia 52, in a prestigious area where immediate surroundings include the “Indro Montanelli” public gardens of Porta Venezia and buildings of...
- Year 2016
- Work started in 2017
- Client Fondazione Luigi Rovati
- Status Current works
- Type Museums / Associations/Foundations